When muscle pain strikes, the first thing most people reach for is the ibuprofen.
While nonprescription painkillers are a huge industry, and a common household cure, they aren’t exactly free of side effects.
Ibuprofen is known to cause short-term effects like indigestion, heartburn, shortness of breath, chest pain, and vomiting. Over time, regular use can lead to addiction and permanent liver damage (1).
If you suffer from chronic pain, painkillers may also have less of an effect over time, meaning that you’ll have to start taking more and more just to get on with your day.
So why not go for a safer, non-toxic alternative?
Homemade Oil For Pain
Use this simple recipe to treat joint and muscle pain as well as headaches and mental fog!
Keep it by your bedside to fight pain right when you wake up.
- 20 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 10 tablespoons Himalayan salt
- 3-5 drops rosemary essential oil
You’ll have to:
- Mix ingredients in a glass jar, seal, and let it sit for 48 hours.
- To use, apply a small amount to affected area in the morning right after waking up. For headaches, apply directly to your temples.
- Massage the oil into your skin for 2-3 minutes and let it sit for up to 20 minutes.
- Use a clean damp towel to wipe away the remaining oil.
- Use everyday for 10 days to see lasting results.
How It Works
Rosemary contains 29 chemical compounds that give it a variety of healing properties. For one, the herb is known to fight heat-induced pain and dysmenorrhea (2).
It’s also widely used to treat headaches, muscle pains, and arthritis (3). The herb even fights stress, improves mood, and sharpens mental focus to help you go on with your day when suffering from chronic pain (4).
Olive oil serves as a carrier oil to keep the essential oil from evaporating. This ensures that the rosemary oil can do its job while it’s on your skin. It also dilutes the oil to prevent a rash or skin irritation caused by the hyper-concentrated essential oil (5).
Plus, olive oil contains natural anti-inflammatory compounds that help soothe overworked muscles and injured joints (6).
Lastly, salt contains essential electrolytes that improve nerve signaling to prevent muscle pain (7).
If you suffer from intense pain or arthritis, consider switching the Himalayan salt for Epsom salt, which is high in pain-relieving magnesium.